Sunday, February 6, 2011

Karaoke - One of My Little Moments

Last Friday, February 4, 2011, my husband and I went out for Karaoke. He loves to listen to me sing and entertain the group at the Point Grill, Mt. Pleasant. As for me, I simply LOVE entertaining. At five-years-old, I had my first experience singing in a choir at church. Never did I experience butterflies or knocking knees. I simply slipped onto the stage at church, took a deep breath, waited for the piano, and off I went singing, "Jesus Loves Me." I looked into the audience, glancing at my grandmother wiping tears from her eyes as she listened to me. That is the moment I knew I wanted to sing to the world.

Flashforward -- many, many years later. Never did I find the courage to 'sing to the world.' In high school I sang in the choir and for a brief time, I sang with a rock band, entertaining at community centers, schools and other events. At fifteen, my parents divorced. My mother moved us in with our grandparents in Bibb City, the cotton mill district of Columbus, GA and for me, the music stopped. My grandfather restricted us from playing rock music. When he found my records, he trashed them. Little did he know I was hiding them in a secret place that only I knew! Music was my therapy. The beat and rhythm of music embraced me and even though I no longer sang with a band, music was still inside my heart and soul.

Friday night I was not in the mood for music. This year has started with a dear friend ill and other moments in my life that just do not appear to be going in the direction I want them to, and so, I was down. The weather in Charleston -- the extreme cold temperatures, the grayness of winter and the lack of sunshine and tropical temps has left me so depressed I simply wanted to wrap myself in a snuggie and keep the world away from me. But my husband insisted that we go. Karaoke started. My friends waited to hear me sing. "Barbie, aren't you singing?" They asked. "Nope," I said. "Not in the mood."

I glanced into the audience, noticing a beautiful woman dressed in a simple, but elegant white dress, accented with pearl earrings, necklace and flowers in her hair. She looks like a bride.

Karaoke singers continued to belt out tunes, only by now, no one appeared to be listening. The partying groups were loud - having a bit too much fun.

I jotted down a song, gave it to the DJ and sat down. When my name was called, I decided it was time to awaken everyone and entertain. Grabbing the wireless microphone I whispered, "Uh Huh. Honey. All right!"

"Sweet Nothings," a hit record by Brenda Lee during my childhood was always a song everyone loved to hear me sing, and so I began, singing, rocking, dancing and working the audience. Gone was the blackened veil of depression, replaced by passion I have for entertaining and singing. The only noise in the bar was the music and laughter as I moved from one table to another, singing to the men and women and enjoying one of my little moments. When the song ended, several people thanked me for singing.

Later, someone requested "At Last." I dedicated this tune to the bride and groom. Later that night as I gathered my things to leave, the bride approached me, carrying a bouquet of roses, babies breath and hydrangeas. The bouquet was beautiful. She thanked me for singing, telling me how great I was. I thanked her, shrugged it off, and started to leave. "These are for you. I'd like to give you this bouquet."

She elaborated on how special I had made her night. Never have I heard such kind, touching words and I thanked her for her charm. She thrust the bouquet in my hand, insisting that I take them home to enjoy. At first, I declined. She refused to take the bouquet back, telling me how special I had made their wedding party celebration. "You deserve these and I want you to have them. It's a tradition in my family. We always find someone special to give our bouquet to, so please take them and remember how special your gift of singing and entertaining is for those who listen to you."

"But it's only Karaoke," I said.

"Not for you," she smiled. "You entertain, making the audience feel special."

Today, is Sunday. Super Bowl Sunday. Today, while writing this blog, I glance over at the bouquet. I doubt I will ever forget the beautiful bride and that special moment. For me it was only Karaoke. For her -- perhaps the beginning of a new journey with marriage and the future. I am hopeful someday she will read this blog and discover how touching her words were to me at a depressing moment in my life. The generosity of a bouquet given to someone just for singing a song. The expressions of encouragement and appreciation, just for singing a song. Life's little moments. Perhaps that is why I sing. To some it is just Karaoke, but for me -- singing is an expression of life's precious moments.

No comments: