Friday, June 18, 2010

Oil Spill in the Gulf

Last year, I was blessed to travel to the Gulf Coast, falling in love with its pristine beaches, the amazing food and people and all the ecotourism. While it is all still there, including the sugary soft sand that squeaks when walking on it, BP has managed to threaten tourism and the beauty of the area. Daily, I watch the stories pouring in, almost as quickly as the oil gushing along the shores and my heart breaks. Pelicans are my favorite birds. Now, they are dying, covered with crude oil while ingesting oil into their bloodstream.

Yesterday, I watched Tony Hayward testifying. Excuse me?.? Did I say -- testifying? What a joke he was, and what a fine example he revealed -- without saying anything. His actions were robotic. His demeanor -- without expression. What exactly is wrong with BP?

Fortunately, I have gorgeous photographs of the Gulf Coast -- before the oil spill. As a travel writer, I am still marketing the Gulf Coast, encouraging tourists to go -- to see the beauty, and now, the history of a tragedy that should not have happened. I have heard people express that the Gulf Coast region will not survive this. My response is -- oh, yes the people and the region will survive. Those people are strong. They have seen many storms and they have survived. Regardless what others say, the Gulf Coast will truly be one of the most beautiful, photographic and caring regions I have traveled. Like storms, this too shall pass. The region will survive. It is up to all of us caring Americans to pull together and make things better.

I will not patronize BP, but I will do all I can to market the area of the Gulf Coast. The food is incredible. The people -- some of the most interesting and entertaining I have ever met, and we cannot forget their talents. Just look at Jimmy Buffett, his sister Lucy, the author of "Crazy Sista Cooking, Cuisine & Conversation with Lucy Anne Buffett," and all that they have done, and are still doing, to promote the area. I must say, I have a copy of "Crazy Sista Cooking," and I've cooked many of the recipes. Her Gumbo is the best! I followed her recipes and every dish is terrific! If you are looking for a great recipe book filled with unique, delicious recipes -- get a copy of this one! You will not be disappointed! If you are in the area, make certain you dine at LuLu's. Sit on the deck, enjoying the view of the coastal waters, enjoy a delicious margarita and appreciate all that this talented and amazing Buffett family is doing for culinary cuisine, hospitality, tourism and the Gulf Coast.

No comments: