Saturday, February 20, 2010

Plagiarism at the New York Times

Working frantically this week on assignments, I heard an interesting discussion on Fox News. Plagiarism at the New York Times. The New York Times??? How could that be? I was under the impression that a New York Times reporter had credentials and conducted themselves as professionals.

Yes, it is true -- I am from the old school -- the school of hard knocks. All of my achievements as a writer have been from the blood, sweat, tears, and pain of sitting at a desk, researching, writing, proofreading, reading aloud and working into the late and early hours, just to make certain my words are presentable and credible. Can't even tell you how many queries I've sent out, and let's don't even discuss rejections. They are a part of my life as a writer.

OK, maybe I'm not Jenny Sanford, or Sarah Palin -- but I am a writer and I do have stories to share.

Most professional writers work frantically to make certain their words are not plagiarized, and that they are not plagiarising. Yes, as stated on Fox News, writers do research, make notes, [and maybe it is easy to cut and paste, or print out a story, but it certainly should be credited]. I wonder how those reporters would feel IF their words were plagiarized. It would be easy just to take the words from a source and not give the credit. Nevertheless, that is the cheating way of conducting business. While I have seen it done, I work hard not to do this. When I take notes, I jot down the sources, making certain I give the credit where the credit is due.

During the newscast, one of the speakers said the plagiarism was a simple mistake. Probably copied from a source and forgotten to give the credit.

DUH?!?!?

Aren't reporters/writers/freelancers/authors supposed to conduct themselves as professionals?

Researching, especially on the Internet, we should be more accountable and responsible for what we are doing. I was astounded a few years ago when touring with a group of writers. One of the travel writers who has credentials and has spoken at several workshops actually stated, "When I do a guide book, I take everything from the Internet."

I gasped. "Aren't you afraid to do that without confirming the sources and data?"

"Nope. Publishers don't pay enough for me to waste my time."

Writing a guidebook prior to that discussion I remembered how much time I spent researching and calling all the locations. I certainly did not consider it a "waste of my time," just a responsibility. I suppose I am from the old school -- where my credentials and reputation are something to be cherished. I would rather spend a bit of time confirming, noting, and documenting simply because if my name is attached, I want the respect I deserve.

Plagiarism at the New York Times.

Now, I understand why it is so difficult to be a successful writer, especially when there are writers and reporters who feel they are wasting their time by crediting their sources.

Humph. Food for thought? Perhaps.

No comments: